1/7/11

Birth

 Yesterday was this beautiful lady's 50th Birthday! I might get in trouble for announcing this to the blogosphere but I HAD to do something! (even though I am a day late) She is the best mom in the land, always calling to check in on us, calling us because she misses us and wants us to come stay, she is so handy, the best cook and my best friend.  She has great style, always looks beautiful and I can go to her with any problem and she'll just listen and let me cry or vent all I want.
Happy Birthday mom! You don't look a day over 40
The reason this is a day late is because I had Lithotripsy yesterday. (acoustic waves sent through a machine, targeted on my kidney stones to break them up.)  I couldn't eat or drink anything from midnight on and it was really hard because I came down with a cold the night before, woke up in the night and could hardly breathe my lungs were so full of gunk. (I blame the lovely smog up here in Cache Valley) I didn't go in until 1:45 and they didn't take me back for the procedure until 3:45.  The phlebotomist needs to go back to school because she tried to get my IV in twice on my left hand and was very unsuccessful, it's swollen and still hurts today, an RN came in and was successful the first time.
Moving on, I had to lie on a weird table thing that they fill with water under my bare bottom and back where they had an X-ray above me so they could see the stones and then sent 3,000 (literally) waves to my kidney to break up the stones.  They put me under anesthesia and I woke up and talking about zombies, told them to take my prescriptions to Walgreen's, and said that Violet was with me in the hot tub and I was still holding her; all of which I have no recollection of.  
They successfully broke up 2 kidney stones on my right side one was 1 cm (the size of a pea) and the other was .5 cm.
Today I am feeling alright very sore, puffy from the IV, and really groggy from the drugs.  I have passed a pinch full of sand-looking-stones that were fragments of my stones! Kind of rewarding after going through all that pain. (TMI?)
A picture of stone fragments after Lithotripsy (not mine)
Erik's mom was nice enough to come up and watch Violet because Erik had to come with me.  She even made us dinner! We are so lucky :)

5 comments:

meag said...

hey...happy birthday to your mom and...i'm sorry about the whole procedure and yucky stuff you have to go through for those darn stones....i hope they keep getting better

The Obergs said...

Of course you would wake up talking about zombies. That's all us Obergs are interested in these days... hahahah.

I'm so glad it all went well and hopefully you'll be feeling tip-top in no time at all. Sorry about the cold you got, it sucks to be sick on top of having surgery. But let's be honest, the worst thing of all was not being able to eat. Am I right!? That was probably the worst thing about giving birth too. I don't think I've ever been so hungry in my life!

See you tonight!

April said...

Glad it went well and yes we do have the best mama. Violet in the bath tub with you? So funny! I bet they have the funniest stories to tell of people going out. I would record them all so funny! Do you watch that zombie show on AMC?

Amy said...

We are lucky to have a mom like that for sure! I couldn't stop laughing about the zombies, hot tub with Violet and Walgreens, too funny! This sounds kinda gross but I saw the pics of the stone fragments and thought they looked yummy like rice crispy treats or something! hehe!

Donene said...

Hope you are feeling better, and yes snesthesia makes you do funny things. Sometimes I have a hilarious job. Happy Birthday to your Mom!!