7/10/08

Ouch!

On the 4th of July while swimming in the pool I had my first taste of what I though was heartburn. I had never had it and immediately started panicking that I was having a heart attack! Erik told me that it was probably just heartburn. I was sure it wasn't because I didn't think that heartburn could hurt that bad but what did I know? It was so painful! It lasted the whole day until we got home that night at 1:00 am, I had taken tums and pepto, but no relief. It bothered me the rest of the weekend until tuesday I was at work and I couldn't breath and it killed to move! I have to answer phones and see pt's all day and I knew that I wouldn't be able to work the rest of the day. Then April (my sister) emails me to let me know that Amy (my other sister) was going to have her baby that day because he wasn't moving so they'd have to do an emergency C-section (again) and get him out, so I was pretty upset about that.
After crying to my boss that I couldn't breath, and that my sister was going to have her baby 4 weeks early, he let me leave. My good friend Jenna put me in a wheelchair and took me out to my car so I could go out to the South Ogden Instacare (a lot cheaper than a trip to the E.R.) I got out there basically crawling on all fours and waited, dying, for the Dr.
I told him that I had been having what we thought was heartburn for the last 5 days, he had me breath deep which I couldn't do, then he told me to twist. It hurt so bad and he immediately said,
"yeah... this isn't heartburn" I was relieved! I had been feeling like such a baby! I know that I have like no pain tolerence but this was really bad.
He put a wrap around my rib cage and told me that I had broken or torn my ribs away from my sternum. I got some great drugs (to bad no morphine) and was sent home. I was just so happy to find out that it wasn't heartburn because everyone kept telling me I was pregnant! (which is the LAST thing I want right now!) Thank heavens for broken ribs. :)
Also, Amy is ok now. They ended up not taking the baby, he is doing a lot better (or so they think) and they are probably going to do the C-section next week. Hopefully he'll make it until then, my mom and dad are on a cruise!

10 comments:

Amy said...

Hope you feel better today! Maybe we can come up tonight and lay in misery together!

The Obergs said...

Oh my heck Sammy, that is terrible. What were you doing that tore you ribs away from your sternum? Could you have any more freaky health issues, seriously!? Well, I'm glad you found out that it was something more serious so that Erik could be more sympathetic. Feel better soon!

Paige said...

Geez! That sounds awful! That's the first (and probably only) time I've ever heard someone happy about broken ribs. You're funny! I'm happy that your sister and baby are doing well. That's so scary!

April said...

I still think its so crazy that all that happened to you. I am glad you finally know. Take it easy, I can't imagine the pain. yikes.

Daniel and Kelsie Frandsen said...

Goodness gracious how in the world did you break your ribs thats scary!!! I'm sorry!! But thank heavens they figured it out and the baby is ok!!

Lauren said...

i'm glad your feeling better! i would die cuz i'm a baby! i stub my toe and i start crying or get paper cuts! lol

The Bruces said...

Oh I hope you get feeling better, that really cant be all that great to deal with.. hang in there and I will see you soon at the reunion!

*Laura* said...

Oh my gosh Sammy!! How does that even happen?? Im sorry but im glad your okay!!! And poor Amy, ill pray for you guys!!

meag said...

so do you know how that happened? dang though that sucks...how are they feeling now? thanks for letting us come over and crash at your house last night. you guys are great.

Kassifrass said...

Sammy! I'm so glad you found my blog! Aren't they so fun?! Sorry to hear about your rib! I hope you're feeling better! PS, how cute are you and your hubby?! Answer: SO CUTE!!