3/16/09

California Dreamin

Right about now I'm wishing we were back in San Luis Obispo, lying on the beach, eating trip tip sandwiches and hanging out with the Newton's.
Last week for spring break Erik and I went to San Luis Obispo, CA where I was a nanny for the Newton family for about 6 months.

We left Tuesday after work and stayed in Las Vegas for the night. Woke up early and HAD to go to H&M.

Then it was on the road for 7 hours to SLO. We were lucky enough to stay with the Newton's in their new amazing house. We basically had our own suite in the house, MUCH nicer than any hotel I've ever stayed in! Unfortunately they are selling it, anyone interested?

Thursday morning we went on a beach run. One of the best things about SLO is that you are within 20 minutes of dozens of beaches, some private and some popular. We explored 6 in one day.
Pismo Beach pier.

This is just some of the surfers that morning. FREEZING water! Erik with his DELICIOUS award winning Splash Cafe' clam chowder at Pismo Beach. AMAZING! Shell Beach

Erik of course had to explore and search for jade and agates while I tried to get a tan.
Erik with his findings. Shell Beach Port San Luis
These sea lions were so loud and close I thought they were going to jump up and bite me! We drove out on the pier had the best shrimp cocktail and fish tacos I've ever had, watched little sea otters and these monsters.
Morro Bay
Every Thursday at 6:30 the Farmers Market begins. They close off Higuera St. and the vendors line up. There you will find the most amazing trip tip sandwiches, BBQ, fresh fruits and veggies pastries and treats of all kinds, and corn on the cob!

SLO is home to Cal Poly University so it is a HUGE college town which makes it exciting and a lot of fun. After this trip Erik is thinking about getting his Ph.d there after he gets his masters at Utah State. I'm rooting for that!Erik was in hog heaven, the best BBQ in the state. Trip tip, grilled artichokes and ribs. Mmmm
The famous Bubblegum alley. I was trying to blow a bubble, but the camera was to slow and Erik was too grossed out to wait for me to try again. The alley is probably about 1/2 a block long and 5 feet wide, covered in gum! I have contributed many pieces of gum to the alley but couldn't resist to add another. The men's urinal at Madonna Inn Rodessa, Eric and Erik.

Every night they had to play a few games of Sequence before bed.

Avila Beach is my favorite beach in the SLO area. Erik found lots of agates and jade there.It was a perfect 72 degrees, this is where I always took the girls but this time I got to enjoy it without a 1 1/2, 8 and 10 year old.Our last night Erik and I were shopping downtown and came across a new little candy shop. It was so much fun we spent $22 without even trying!

Before we left I was taking pictures of Mo Mo (Monet, my baby I took care of everyday!) she is now 4 and loved having her picture taken in her cowgirl outfit.

After a wonderful week in SLO we drove to Santa Barbara on Saturday then to Vegas that night.

We had an amazing time and neither of us wanted to leave and can't wait to go back! I was very happy cause Erik loved it so much there, he said it reminded him a lot of Chile where he served his mission for two years. I think we might make this an annual trip.

When we got home Erik had to lay out all his gummies he got at the candy shop.

In other news I have accepted a new job (which just so happens to be my exact same position) at the Logan Regional Hospital. My first day is Monday March 23rd, so my last day at McKay Dee hospital is this Friday. I have mixed feelings about leaving McKay. I love the people I work with, but at the same time I'm very excited to get away from the drama and turn over a new leaf. I have worked as a Patient Account Resolutionist for 1 1/2 years and while the angry patients are starting to ware on me, I'm glad that I won't have to start all over and learn something new.

Erik and I will be moving to Logan in May which means that I will be commuting for the next 6 weeks. Not excited for that, but at least I was lucky enough to get the position out of the 140 applicants. Erik will start working in the lab this summer and then will start on his masters in Nutrition and food science in august.

We are very excited to get started on this new part of our life, and can't wait to get moved (AGAIN!) and settled for at least the next 2 years. Also to be moving by Erik's brother Taylor and his wife Crystal and their baby who is coming this month!

12 comments:

Kat said...

I love SLO! We'd go there for track meets and it was always my favorite. Since BYU doesn't have a spring break our coaches would always schedule a couple extra days for us to just hang out. The farmer's market is the best!

jenna said...

LOVE IT!! It looks like you guys had a blast!! and I must say that while I am very excited for you to move on with your life, I'm quite upset that you are leaving me! Thanks Heavens for e-mail and blogs!!

The Obergs said...

and WE are so excited that you're moving by us too, I mean, REALLY excited! I'm just imagining all of the grand adventures that we're bound to have!

Your trip looked like it was too good to be true, I really am green with envy (which is fitting since it is St. Patty's Day). I am definitely in the market for the Newton's incredible house. Probably one of the most amazing houses I've ever seen. Now if only I can find where Taylor stashed our 2 mill....

Hopefully when you guys go off to SLO to get Erik's Ph.D we will be following along for a teaching position. I can think of no better place for Taylor and I to end up. I think the icing on the cake were the grilled artichokes... seriously!? I would move there today if I could.

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous you went to H&M. I absolutely LOVE that store!! Hey! Welcome to Logan! I hope you love it up here, it's a lot of fun! We'll have to meet up for a football or basketball game sometime.

Amy said...

I'm in next time! Just let us know and we'll be there, maybe we could go this summer for our family trip!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had a blast!! I wish we could have met up. Next trip. :) I loooove Pismo and Splash Cafe.

Lauren said...

Oh wow! looks like you had a blast! I am so jealous!!! I am really gonna miss you once you move far away =-( WE never really did get to go shopping together! One of us was always busy sorry but we'll have to play before you leave tons! Luv ya cuz!

Donene said...

What a great trip and great pictures, I am so excited that you are coming to Logan Regional, we will maybe actually get to see you. I work in the OR, Caitlin is working on Medical, Isaac is working in Central Processing, and Jessica works in the Women's center so we will all have to have a party!! It will be fun to have you in Logan.

meag said...

that looks like seriously so much fun. and that house looks amazing. I'm glad you two got to get away for a while and have so much fun. ps. your swimsuit is adorable. i'm glad you got the job.

April said...

Holy cow that looked so much fun. I'm so glad you guys decided to go, I totally want to go there, I love Cali. Brought back all my memories as a nanny in Santa Barb. In a way I hope you move there but in a way I hope you don't. Oh and where did you get that super cute swimsuit?

Kenzie said...

It looks like you had so much fun!! I love going to the beach!

*Laura* said...

OH FUN IM SO JEALOUS! I LOVE LOVE H&M