Erik and I have been married for 2 years and 3 months now which means we've been married for 2 Christmas's. I grew up in a home where we only ever had real Christmas tree's, while Erik grew up with artificial.
Christmas 2007 I won the debate; Real tree it was.
While I was lucky enough to have the unruly task of stringing the lights and decorating it with all my fun ornaments,

poor Erik had to level the trunk, drill the hole, carry the heavy thing into the house, put it up on the stand and even "feed" the tree. (I am horrible at keeping plants alive, let alone a 7 foot Christmas tree.)

Christmas 2008 Erik and I got the news from our landlord that we had to move out by the end of November because he had sold our home.
Long story short we didn't move out until February but still ended up with my 2 foot tall tree to put our presents under.
So here we are, Christmas 2009... I'm still against the idea of an artificial tree: they don't smell good, unless you spend $200 + they look fake and what happens if the lights burn out? Buy a whole new tree instead of just a new strand of lights?
Storage is another issue.
On the other hand, the pre-lit trees do sound appealing; no stringing lights, no going back and forth to the store to by yet another 2 boxes of lights when you find that it still isn't enough, no leveling, no drilling holes, etc.
So the debate continues. Any ideas?
12 comments:
You know me! I love real trees, but that all ended last year when I finally gave in. We got the tree at costco, it was expensive for sure, but it is worth it in just four years of buying real ones you'd have it paid off!
likes-I am anal abt christmas lights and they are perfect now and always
-you can get a candle that has the christmas tree sent, one year our tree got moldy and smelled so ransid we had to get rid of it before christmas
-they are expensive at first, but worth it in about 4-5yrs
-you can put it up much sooner and leave it up much longer
-mine looks real!!!!!!!!!
-no leveling or hole drilling
-we have lots of room for storage if you need it!
-just easier all around!!!!!!!!
you have to go REAL. it's CHRISTMAS!
I know we've already had this discussion, but I'm going to go over it again.
My family was also a "real" tree family for years and years. We were crushed the year that my parents decided to go "fake". However, we've never gone back. That must say something...
Fake christmas trees smell nice when you buy a 2 dollar pine tree candle from the store
I think our christmas tree looks just as good as a real tree.
I haven't had any issues with bulbs burning out, but if one did I think they go out in just bulbs, so of course there would be no need to buy a new tree for one bulb burning out
and last but not least, if we can find space to store a tree, you can too. You would be amazed at how small it packs up. Come check out our box, it's pretty manageable. It would definitely fit under your bed
hahha, there are my arguments. Either way, your tree will look great. Good luck
p.s. we got ours at walmart for like 30 or 40 bucks. Definitely affordable. Plus there are no pine needles to vacuum up.
oh, i'm partial to real, like you. Its part of the spirit of christmas. and oh, the smell...can't really be beat. but chase and i have never even had a christmas tree in our two christmas' together, so we will see this year how it works out for us. Either way, i'm sure yours will be wonderful. good luck with that.
real
if you buy a fake tree you put the lights on the first year than you don't have to re do them every year! we just kept our lights on and now we don't have to do them this year! I have always had a fake tree growing up
I'm definitely a real tree girl. We like to go up on the mountain & cut down our own. It's a fun tradition & only costs $5!
Real all the way baby. :) You could buy a fake tree and do every other year - that's actually what we did growing up and I liked it.
ps...i hope your boutique went FABULOUS!wish i could have been there.
We have a really cool white tree, its very obviously fake looking and it doesn't smell good but it is SO COOL. Plus you don't have to kill a tree...
i always had a fake tree growing up because i was allergic to the real ones...so now i'm trying to make up for it. i like the tradition of going to cut down the christmas tree as a family, i think that's the only reason we keep doing it...it's a tradition i didn't get growing up. however i do hate stringing the lights
Post a Comment