10/11/10

A Birthday, a Funeral and Three Months Old

My sweet Grandpa Speechly passed away last Sunday, October 3rd.  He lived 93 great years!  Click here to read his amazing obituary. We miss him but know that he is in a better place, fishing and golfing again.  He was such a sweet, happy, generous and funny man, the funeral was amazing, and it was great to see all the family and cousins again.  The viewing was Thursday and the funeral Friday.
(this picture was a few years ago on memorial day)
 Although we took our camera, we didn't get a single picture at the funeral or luncheon or anything but it was fabulous!

Sunday October 10th was my dad's 55th birthday!
Violet loves her Papa, she had so much fun with him
 

It was quite a special day, 10/10/10, 1955- 1+9=10, 5+5=10, he was 55 5+5=10, so many crazy numbers!  It was a great day, Violet and I ended up staying at my parents after the funeral because Erik went elk hunting, but he got back for my dad's birthday.
Vi loved listening to Papa's headphones
My dad loves corduroy, my sister Amy and her family gave this corduroy throw to him, and April and I gave him Robin Hood on Blu ray.
 Happy Birthday dad! You are the best, we love you so much!

  Violet with "G.G" (Great Grammy)


Little Violet is now three months old!  She LOVES her tongue, licking everything! Loves sucking on her fists, playing with her keys and just recently, sitting in her bumbo!

She's such a delight we just can't get enough, she is so content and sweet.  She takes three naps a day, and sleeps from 7:00 or 8:00 until 4:00 then sleeps until 8:00, but I sure wish she would start sleeping through the night! She has slept from 10:00 until 7:30 one night when we got home late, and another time until 6:30, but those were extremely rare! I haven't gotten a good nights rest for at least 6 months!
She is so sweet and when I go in to get her in the middle of the night or from naps, she smiles so big and laughs she's so excited to see me! Makes it all worth it.

10 comments:

meag said...

oh i love that little girl. she is so sweet. preston loves his bumbo too, and i hear ya on the sleeping...one day you'll get a night full of it (me too). again...hope i get to see you soon

Amy said...

She is so darling, and um, pretty sure 8-4 is sleeping through the night, ask most moms and they'd agree you are lucky that she doesn't wake up at 10, 2, and 4! Count your blessings!!!! I love the last 2 pics whe is a dolly!

Vienna said...

Oh she is the cutest. I love her outfits in these pictures. Glad you had a fun weekend; hopefully I'll get to catch up with you soon!

Donene said...

She changes every time I see her! She is adorable and sorry about your Grandpa it sounds like he lived an amazing life! Happy Birthday to your Dad, he also celebrated his one and only birthday when he is the same age as the year he was born!

The Obergs said...

again, I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. It's always hard losing a grandparent, even when it is expected. And Violet looks so dang cute in these pictures I can hardly stand it! She has changed just since I saw her on wednesday. I love all of her little animated faces. She really is such a doll.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Oh my goodness Sammy! I LOVE the tongue - totally cracks me up. What a little doll.

And yes.... um sleeping from 8:00-4:00 AM IS sleeping through the night. I hate to break it to you. I know it's hard to get up in the night, but she might not actually sleep longer than that until she's 6 months old. Don't feel too bad though - you could have had a Linus who was up at least 3-6 times per night until he was 8 months old!! She's doing great! :) You lucky mama. I know how you feel though though - I was frustrated with Claire waking up once per night to get her binky put back in, but when I had Linus I realized how good I'd had it. It's hard not to sleep all the way through the night as a mom.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa - funerals are always hard. When my grandpa died, the hardest part for me was watching my mom. She was so sad.

That's nuts about your dad's birthday numbers. :) Linus' birthday is also the 10th, but there was nothing remarkable about that this year for him. Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

So cute! Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Dan & Heather Pelfrey said...

Yay for the Bumbo! I love that she sticks out her tongue! And I think I lucked out with Ethan and his insanely awesome sleeping habits--I don't know many people whose baby sleeps 10-12 hours a night at 4 months old. I'll bet Vi will get better as she gets older!

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. It sounds like you have some good memories of him though!

April said...

I love her! So cute and that tongue she's always got it out. And yeah sleeping through the night is about what she's doing. Can she go down a bit later? Not sure that it would help much though. MOst babies that age sleep about 6-8 hr stretch. And she's doing that.

Kit said...

those pics are adorable!