3 Months ago I went into the DI looking for a dresser I could refinish for a tv stand and boy did I find it. After going back 3 times to make sure I loved it and it was the one for me, I bought it. 3 Months later (mostly due to the summer that didn't start until June) I started working on it and yesterday (with a lot of help from Erik) we finished it. Behold
Before
Pretty hideous!
After a week of sanding, spray painting, staining (could only do it in the morning before Vi woke up or at night, which left me to working on it with a headlamp) and swearing, it's finished!
I love how it turned out, exactly how I wanted.
First I primed it with a few different primers, I've heard that Kilz is the best but it's more expensive, I used Krylon and Rustoleum and they were both fine, then I used Krylon (only way to go, the nozzle is SO much better than any other brand) Ivory spray paint. I wanted to do a fun color but decided to just do ivory, it will go with everything, won't go out of style and I won't get sick of it.
I probably did 3-4 coats on the entire thing which really wasn't that bad (I wish I had read on the can from the get go that you only have to wait 10 minutes tops to do another coat. I was waiting hours which turned into days!)
After the first few days I really went to town and got it all spray painted, but first I taped off the top with tape and cut open a garbage bag. Erik stained the top with dark walnut Minwax stain and then he stained the whole dresser as I followed and wiped it in/off. It seemed like a whole lot of work but really it could've been finished in 2 days. This dresser is HUGE; 6 feet long! Now I feel like I can do any project in a few hours and now I know what I am doing.
I probably did 3-4 coats on the entire thing which really wasn't that bad (I wish I had read on the can from the get go that you only have to wait 10 minutes tops to do another coat. I was waiting hours which turned into days!)
After the first few days I really went to town and got it all spray painted, but first I taped off the top with tape and cut open a garbage bag. Erik stained the top with dark walnut Minwax stain and then he stained the whole dresser as I followed and wiped it in/off. It seemed like a whole lot of work but really it could've been finished in 2 days. This dresser is HUGE; 6 feet long! Now I feel like I can do any project in a few hours and now I know what I am doing.
TA DA!
I don't LOVE the handles but they will do.
I wanted to have a drawer for Violet's toys so they would be nicely tucked away but easy for her to get too.
Can't wait to finally get my hands on that headboard I've had since February! Now that I've done this that should be a breeze :)
A special thanks to my Erik for helping me stain and sand. I couldn't have done it without you!
My parents, they came up yesterday for dinner and helped us move this beast into the house and waited patiently while we got it all organized
and to Vienna for letting us use your sander! (next investment :))
My parents, they came up yesterday for dinner and helped us move this beast into the house and waited patiently while we got it all organized
and to Vienna for letting us use your sander! (next investment :))
Tips: a spray paint trigger is the best investment you can make when doing a big project like this. It's only $3 and will make the world of difference!
18 comments:
Oh Sammy!! I LOVE IT!! I got Grandma's dresser that was in the kitchen and its kinda like this for our TV. I think I want to do this to it now! these colors would match my living room so well... maybe you could help me out? I don't know where to begin! I LOVE IT!
oh my gosh that is freakin gorgous! you need to teach me how!
You did a great job-- looks so cute!
When you said ivory, I was worried, but I'm in love with it! Congrats, what a project! I am now thinking I want one slightly smaller for my dining room. Yay!
so cool! it looks like a professional did it! which must be exactly what you are
SOOO adorable! love the color and the dark stain you used. Wonderful work my friend :)
um, i am i love with that. can i buy it from you? haha, it turned out amazing. love the stained top. great job.
that is gorgeous! I love seeing before and after projects like this, they are so inspiring! Maybe one day I'll dare tackle something along the same lines!
Wow, Sammy! You did a FANTASTIC job!
Sammy - Love Love Love it! Can I post it on my blog. . . it is as cute as you!
Love it, turned out awesome! So, glad you had Erik to help you, its too hard to do it alone!!!
You are amazing! It looks absolutely incredible!
Sammy that is so awesome! I love it! It is gorgeous. You are amazing.
Sammy, I'm so impressed, it looks gorgeous! Way to go on seeing the potential... you have a creative brain for sure.
P.S. I love that picture of Violet and her post-sleepy face.
Love, love, LOVE it!
LOVE IT! Kilz IS the best though...you usually need less coats so even though its more expensive, it all evens out in the end. I shouldn't be giving you advice though...you're a pro. It really is BEAUTIFUL!
It looks SO great!!! Good job! I haven't ventured out to furniture yet . . . I need to start keeping my eye out for a cute piece :)
I just picked up the entire bedroom set to match this dresser, (dresser included). It has two mirrors that attach to the back, a head board and two night stands. They are absolutely gorgeous but a yucky green color and I'm debating over what I can do to make them pretty. I've wanted to white wash it, as it is currently more of a "green" wash which would do if i was into green but I'm just not. Its going to take a lot of work! Probably going to have to wait until spring time when I can go outside, the winter in Oklahoma is just to darn cold outside and no garage to work out of :( (oh i miss my home state of California). Anyway I was extatic to find that someone else had found this furniture, and it sure looks lovely!
Post a Comment