9/24/12

Adventuring

On a beautiful Saturday in September we packed up the kids and headed to the mountains.  Our friends had recently gone on a beautiful hike up to St Mary's Glacier so we decided we needed to give it a try.  

After the beautiful but long drive we arrived at the parking lot, low and behold it was $5 to park. We didn't have any cash with us, not a dime. We were so upset, so looking forward to this hike, the girls were angels the whole ride there, and Violet was so excited to go hiking. (There wasn't anywhere else to park and we didn't want to risk getting towed or a fat ticket)

We headed back to Idaho Springs ate at Tommyknocker's (Erik was so excited to find this place, he loves their rootbeer and used to get it at Lee's in Logan. This is the original restaurant) it was so amazing and I would absolutely drive the 40 minutes to Idaho Springs to eat there again,

We drove around the quaint little mining town and ran into a thrift store where we hit the mother load! Well, we found a few treasures anyway, "If you give a moose a muffin", perfect condition for .25 cents! Erik found a suit for his Halloween costume, Ron Burgundy, again. And I found an amazing spool end table for... $4. Yes, you read that right, $4. I about died.
  
Instead of getting cash and heading back up to the trail, we decided to drive up to Mt. Evans (a 14er) The trees were breathtaking, yellow and orange patches of Quaking Aspens amidst the pine trees.  The road to the top of Mt Evans was closed for the season but we got to drive almost to the top and hike around Summit Lake
 These guys were everywhere! They get so close you have to be careful they don't head butt you!
 We kind of all look like orphans, I left my glasses in the car so I stole Erik's hat, Vi pulled her piggy tails out and Erik has hat hair, but I still think we're pretty cute
 Pretty cold up here! Almost 13,000 feet (see all the rams?)



I seems every time we have plans for Saturday's to go "adventuring" as Erik says, they fall through but we always find something just as great if not better to do instead. I love where we live, love having such beautiful places so close and getting to explore our new home..

Oh yeah... we also drove past our newest adventure on the way home, our first house
Details coming soon...

4 comments:

meag said...

hello beautiful!! that scenery is amazing!! what a fun day. and can't wait to hear & see all the house details.

anne said...

gorgeous pictures ! and you are all so beautiful - even w/ hat hair . Congrats on the HOUSE ! is darling - you will be such a fun homemaker - - - love it.

The Obergs said...

you guys ARE good adventureizers. What gorgeous pictures. Can't wait to hear all about your new house. What an exciting venture!

Hyde family said...

You live in a beautiful place! I had no idea you bought a house! Fun! Is is still in the highlands ranch area?