11/12/12

One Man's Junk...

If you were to come to our home right now you would find fabric waiting to be sewn into pillows and blankets, countless projects and pieces of furniture that are awaiting a (much needed) face lift. 

We recently went to an estate sale just up the street where we hit the mother load. Let's just say $5 lawn mower, a nightstand for Violet's big girl room (some day in the future, that's a whole other story) headboard and bed frame also for Vi's room, a ladder, tools, wheel barrow and yard tools, stool, chair and the list goes on and on.  All in all we probably spent $60 on these treasures. The vast majority were things we needed or would eventually need to buy so we really got lucky.

Now the hard part: fixing them all up. I have so many things to do I don't really know where to start, what to do with them (I can never make up my mind) or have the money to do them all in a timely manner.

Erik and I were saying we needed to get nightstands for our room. Ever since we've been married we've just used odds and ends as nightstands and right now I don't even have one.  My lamp and books are just on the ground.  I said, "I'll go to Savers this week and see if they have any. Or here's a crazy idea. We buy NEW nightstands!" We both laughed because we literally have only bought a handful of new pieces of furniture. Our girls' cribs (one was a gift), my rocking chair(s), tv stand for our old tv which we don't even have anymore.  Everything else has been a hand-me-down, thrifted, or craigslisted. I'm not sure if that is something to be proud of or embarrassed about.

This is our front room from the front door. (coat closet behind me, front door to right)
These two chairs were my grandparents, Free
I am having the hardest time finding fabric to recover the chairs. I keep changing my mind on the color scheme in this room and it's just throwing everything off. And then what color do I paint the chairs?! Decisions decisions.
The coffee table was a gift from my mother in law, she got it for $5 at a garage sale and brought it as a house warming gift. I could not have asked for a more perfect coffee table! Sure it needs some work, but I'm SO excited about it, I love the legs, and I wanted a round one. Perfect! Free
Remember the spindle leg table I said I got for $4 at a thrift store in Idaho Springs? Here she is! (decor needs some help and we should probably take the comcast box back:))
 One thing I can check off my to do list! Erik and I recovered the seats one evening in a few hours.  I sold our dining room table and chairs and bought these before we moved.  It came with two leaves and can seat 12 (I believe). My very friend Vienna and her little family are coming  to Thanksgiving (can't wait!) at our house this year so it will be nice to have plenty of room. $30
 I am so heartbroken, I lost the camera card that had the before picture of the chairs so I only have the after. Just picture goldish snake skin vinyl fabric on the seat. Yowza it was ugly.
Still deciding on whether to paint them or not. Suggestions?
 Violet's headboard. They were smokers so I'm hoping it will air out enough so I don't have to take the padding off, I even love it just the way it is! It would be fun to recover though. $10 (I think we started bundling all the stuff together we were getting from the estate sale, not really sure how much it was)
 Some more of our hoard. The lovely chair was given to us by our friends Anna and Alex when we lived in Logan when we had our neighborhood garage sale and couldn't sell it. I thought we had gotten rid of it by giving it to Erik's dad when we moved to Denver, but he made sure we got it back when we moved into our house. I'm thinking it looks PERFECT in the garage :)
(I spy $5 lawn mower, nightstand, chair and stool)
 And what post would be complete without a picture of one of my girlies? I grabbed this table off the side of the road moments before the garbage man got it. Gotta love Highlands Ranch and the stuff they throw out.
I am quite proud of my finds and some projects I've done, but I have to say at times it's hard not to be a little embarrassed by our furniture situation. Sure my couches are old and brown and ugly, but they are comfy and work. I hate feeling like I have to explain the front room and the furniture to everyone that comes to my house. I am working on just being grateful for my ugly furniture, although it will be nice once they are all finished.  SO stay tuned. Hopefully I can get somethings done before I head to Utah for the month of December. (yay!)

3 comments:

Karli said...

Sammy please do not paint the dining room set I really like the wood it looks classic. And for the other furniture I think it is fun to have such an eclectic mix you don't want your house to look like everyone else's so don't be embarrassed, be unique :) side note Violet's boots are amazing love them.

meag said...

Amazing!! Love it all. That table you snagged off the side of the road... Totally something I've looked for for Christmas. It's all so awesome. I need to get out to garage sales more often. Can't wait to see the finished products

Paige said...

whoa! you have found some AWESOME pieces! you have a good eye. Momma melanie would be proud! haha can't wait to see what you do with all of it...and to see pictures of your house! from what I can see it looks really nice!